Wednesday, June 25, 2008

THE ELUSIVE STICKY BUN

I have just come back from Boston where I spent the last four days. I really do love Jet Blue with their XM sateliette radio and movie chanels. However, I will never drive out of Boston again. It was an absolutely horrific experience. My plan landed at 5:30pm and I didn't get in to Amy's house until 10:30pm ( a trip that takes an 1.5 hours at most with rush hour traffic). I was like a lost Hebrew on a journey that should have only taken 11 days but ended up taking forty years. OMG! I knew there was a lot of one way streets but I ended spending over an hour trying to get out of Revere because of this damn sign:



It constantly kept me from going from the direction I came. Thank God I rented a compact car or I would have to raffle off my first born to pay for the gas I used getting in the right direction.


My other excitement was that I got to spend awesome bonding time with my goddaughter Michaela. She's growing up to quite a little lady. I took her to my old stomping grounds (aka Emmanuael College, Downtown Crossing, South Station etc) and showed her all the places her mom and I went to school. There was a bit of construction going on, so we didn't get to see that much. They did appear to have expanded a bit.


I also took her to the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum. This was one of my favorite paintings called EL Jaleo:




The rendering here just doesn't do justice to the colors John Singer Sargent used.


I also offered to get Michaela's ears pierced and initally she was all for it. She was so excited, talking about what type of stud she was going to get. She picked out her birthstone and was ready to go. Michaela made her way to the chair where the women put the dots on her ear and had me inspect to make sure they were even. (I had to pretend I was her mother, which is pretty ironic considering she has blue eyes and blond hair and I have brown hair and brown eyes, but I digress). Then she saw the woman load the the gun with her chosen earrings and she FLIPPED out. She went completely pale and asked if she could back out of it. I had already paid for it, so I was like "Kayla, don't look at her, look at me. " But she would have none of that and she literally jumped out of the chair as the women came toward her with the loaded earing gun.


So rather than have her earings pierced, I got my second my second holes. It stung a little bit, but I've had them done before so I knew what to expect. Kayla couldn't even her watch me get my ear pierced. She literally looked like she was going to faint. For a good 20 minutes afterward she had absolutely no color in her face and kept on saying OMG, OMG. I reassured her and said that she could do it when she was ready, but all she could talk about was her fear of needles.


We also tried to find the elusive sticky bound at this place called Flour, Bakery and Cafe. Unfortunately 2 train rides later we get there only to find out that they have run out before we even got there. WHATTTT? We were so ticked offf and tired that we just ended up heading back home on the commuter rail.



We did manage to ride every line except the blue line in our endeavors. Kayla got a kick out of standing up while the T was in motion.







No comments: